HOW DEEP can they go?
RMS Titanic's Final Resting Place
12,500 ft (3810 m)
In 1985, Dr. Robert Ballard led a team of researchers in a joint French-American expedition and found the final resting place of the R.M.S. Titanic. He and his colleagues returned one year later with the
DSV Alvin and a specially designed robot, the Jason Jr., to explore the ship.
Titanic-related Web Sites and Information
- The Titanic: Encyclopedia Smithsonian
- Titanic's Lost Sister - NOVA online
- R.M.S. Titanic; international maritime memorial; findings and purposes - Congressional findings and recommendations
- Titanic: Select Bibliography - from the Maritime History Virtual Archives in Sweden
- The Grave of the Titanic from The Gulf of Maine Aquarium
- The Titanic Disaster: An Enduring Example of Money Management vs. Risk Management
- R.M.S. TITANIC...Célebre Transatlântico do Épico Desastre - a new site from Brazil
- The 3D Titanic
- Titanic Tidbits
- Titanic-Titanic.com- an incredible array of links and information about the Titanic including a Titanic Discussion Forum
- Join the Titanic Discussion group
- The Titanic Historical Society (THS)
- The Titanic Society of South Africa contains sample newsletter articles and links
- Ulster Titanic Society including a unique account from a Titanic witness who has never before been heard on the Internet.
- Scandinavian Titanic Society has now begun its work and welcomes new members.
Student Sites about the Titanic
- The Titanic Sinks into the Internet - WWW page by Rohan McCarthy from Ipswich, Queensland, Australia.
- The Titanic in the classroom from the Department for Education and Children's Services (Australia)
- The Titanic: Student Investigations also from the Department for Education and Children's Services (Australia)
- The Titanic in the classroom - more from DECS Australia
- The Story of the Titanic - a tale from Sweden
- Titanic Buff's Homepage
- Titanic and her Sisters - a great site with easy to follow topics
Newspaper and Magazine Accounts
- R.M.S. Titanic - 83 Years later - An online exhibit highlighting the potential of newspapers as sources for historical and cultural research.
- Images of the Titanic From Maryland Newspapers
- `Owning' the Titanic - an article about the company, RMS Titanic Inc.
- Greek divers tell of finding Titanic's sunken sister
- Titanic exhibit just doesn't float
Art, Books, Film, Video, Music, Dance and Literature
- Inside the Titanic - The News with Brian Williams on MSNBC
- The Last True Story of Titanic by Jim Clary
- TITANIC - Women and Children First - a book commemorating the women and children involved in the tragedy by Judith B. Geller
- TITANIC IN 3-D MOVIE from the National Geographic Society
- Titanic in Dream & Legend - paintings and story by Peter Selgin from Urban Desires
- 1:40 a.m. Titanic Time, April 15 1912 and the R.M.S.
Titanic (Miniature series) by marine artist Jim Clary
- A Treasury of Titanic Tales - an illustrated narrative of human interest stories from the Titanic
- Titanic - A New Musical - great site about the new Broadway musical plus many historical Titanic-related items.
- Titanic. Destination ...Cyberspace
- The Sinking
of the Titanic a recording by Gavin Bryars
- Search the Digital Tradition Folk Song Database for all songs that contain the word Titanic.
- Words to yet another version of the Wreck of the Titanic
- Titanic - The second part of the trilogy created in 1992 for the first Biennial International Dance Festival by Frédéric Flamand
- What if they found a survivor of the Titanic? - a review of a play at TheatreWorks' Stage II
- Secrets of the Titanic, History's Greatest Shipwrecks Collection and Last Voyage of the Lusitania videos from National Geographic
- A Night To Remember - the movie
- Titanic (1997) - new movie by James Cameron.
- Titanic - the Movie Webisode with interviews and great background features about the movie.
- The Titanic - a nice painting
- The "Unsinkable" Titanic - a nice painting from a Canadian site
- RMS Titanic - a few
pictures from New Zealand
- The sinking of the R.M.S.Titanic - a 3-D computer model
- The Titanic Tragedy - A recently re-released audiobook.
- Titanic: A Voyage of Discovery - a new interactive CD-ROM website
- Titanic: Triumph and Tragedy by John P. Eaton and Charles A. Haas
- The Riddle of the Titanic An Astonishing Reassessment That Will Shock the
World by Dan van der Vat and Robin Gardner
- Titanic...That Night, The Untold Story by Jim Clary
- Superstitions of the Sea by Jim Clary contains "startling new facts on the Titanic"
Museums, Organizations and Individuals Associated with the Titanic
- Dr. Robert D. Ballard
- Secrets of the Deep a lecture by Dr. Robert Ballard at the National Geographic Society - February 10, 1998
- The Deep Submergence Laboratory Homepage, and the Deep Submergence Operations Group at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
- Photograph of Jason Jr.: Underwater ROV
- Harland and Wolff Technical Services Ltd. - the builder of the Titanic
- Homepage (unofficial) of the White Star Line (in German) and in english.
- Maritime Museum of the Atlantic in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Museum contains artifacts from Titanic and some of the victims were buried in Halifax.
- The Marine Museum at Fall River - contains the twenty eight foot model of the Titanic used in the 1952 movie TITANIC.
- United States Coast Guard International Ice Patrol
- Michael E.Humphreys - apprentice baker meant to get on Titanic at Queenstown, Apr 1912, age 19 went off drinking, missed it!
- Titanic's Radio operators
- Encyclopedia Titanica: -Titanic Research, Passenger and Crew Biographies, Pictures, Titanic Articles
- Titanic Memorial Sites - Titanic memorials throughout the United Kingdom.
Titanic-related Artifacts, Memorabilia and Nostalgia
- The Titanic's Tender "Nomadic"
- RMS Titanic, inc.- includes information about the exhibitions and memorabilia.
- Titanic International- an organization dedicated to the research of ocean liners
- New Steamship Consultants - Ocean Liner Memorabilia Resources including pictures of some very Rare Titanic Memorabilia.
- Titanic - Ocean Liner Memorabilia
- The Titanic Rises in Hobart - spend a luxurious night in The Empire Suite of the Titanic on your next visit to Hobart, Tasmania.
- The morning sky that greeted the survivors of the Titanic. [800x600 - 11 Kbytes]
- Titanic Wreck Model Pictures
- Titanic Reproductions - brass uniform buttons for the captain and crew of the R.M.S. Titanic.
Titanic-links from other Titanic Websites
- Links to Other Titanic Sites from Jim's Titanic Site
- Web Topics - Shipwrecks include a number of links plus good descriptions.
- Links from the Titanic WebSite
- Links by Category
Search the Internet for Titanic-related information
- InfoSeek Guide
- Magellan Internet Guide
- Open Text
Return to HOW DEEP can they go?
Ocean Planet Exhibition Floorplan
gene carl feldman (firstname.lastname@example.org) (301) 286-9428
Judith Gradwohl, Smithsonian Institution (Curator/Ocean Planet)