JASON VI: Island Earth
JASON's Educational Aims
To excite and engage students and educators in science and
To expose students and educators to state-of-the-art science and
To serve as a catalyst for long-term systemic improvement of
To produce multi-disciplinary materials and programs that reflect
internationally recognized educational goals and standards.
To encourage team-building skills and partnerships among
educators, and other experts from different fields.
Achievement of Aims
JASON excites and engages students and educators in science and
- creating experiences for large numbers of students to participate in
research expeditions to distinctive sites for live, interactive broadcasts
using advanced technologies.
- demonstrating fundamental concepts, using the research expedition and
inquiry-based experiences both in the classroom and at the Primary Interactive
JASON exposes students and educators to state-of-the-art science
and technology by:
- creating advanced interactive laboratories for students and educators.
- providing opportunities to test advanced technology in an educational
JASON serves as a catalyst for long-term systemic improvement of
- facilitating collaboration among students and educators in the
development of materials, programs, and projects.
- providing a model and process for all aspects of information dissemination.
JASON produces multi-disciplinary materials and programs that
reflect current internationally recognized education goals and standards by:
- engaging the support and expertise of a unique alliance of public,
private and non-profit organizations committed to improving science and
technical education for all students.
- incorporating key multi-disciplinary educational outcomes in the design
of all programs and materials.
- adapting to a broad range of learning styles in the design of the
materials and programs.
- selecting a broad range of components which can be easily adapted into
existing curriculum frameworks.
- selecting materials and programs that utilize local resources and
- offering assessment opportunities that move the educational goals and
- incorporating professional development for teachers to ensure
appropriate delivery of the materials and programs.
JASON encourages team-building skills among students, educators,
and other experts from different fields of research by:
- providing networking support (bulletin board systems and computer
platforms) that foster interchange among students, educators, and members of
- helping participants get to know expedition researchers as people.
JASON VI Home Page
JASON Project homepage
Todd Carlo Viola,
JASON Foundation for Education