Ocean Planet Customized Tour: Page 12 of 13
NOTE: These links were originally created during the active life of the Exhibition and many of the external links are no longer valid. However, They are preserved here as a record of the resources that were available for the first time in a single place in a time before internet search engines were available
Links to Compilations of Oceanographic Resources on the Internet
Links to Information about the Ocean and Environment
- Links to Environment and Nature Resources on the Internet (Yahoo list from Stanford)
- Envirolink -
EnviroLink is the largest on-line environmental information service on
the planet, reaching well over 1.5 million people in over 100
countries. (this number grows daily) All services provided by the
EnviroLink Network are FREE to the user and are available for anyone
that wishes to use them.
New Life (from the EPA)
- Acoustic Thermometry of Ocean Climate
- Amazing Environmental Organization Web Directory
- Aquatic Network - Information Service for the Aquatic World.
- Aquatones - images by underwater/marine photographer Michael Loh.
- Australian Environment - A project of the Australian Department of the Environment and associated agencies
- AWI WWW Polar and Marine Research Database
- Biopolitics International Organisation with extensive publications on environmental topics.
- Careers in Marine Science - a large number of sources of information from WHOI
- Careers in Marine Science - Advice to Students and Parents From the Scientists of Mote Marine Laboratory
- Careers in Oceanography and Marine-Related Fields - from the Office of Naval Research
- Catalog of Marine Fish and Invertebrates
- Catalog of Marine Specimens from The Marine Biological Laboratory, Woods Hole.
- Chesapeake Bay Information Online from Sea Grant
- Coastal Ocean Modeling at the USGS
- Coral Forest
- Coral Health and Monitoring from NOAA's Ocean Chemistry Division
- Coral Health Related Literature Abstracts - including topics such as Coral "Bleaching", El Nino Related Damage, and Human Impact on Coral Reefs.
- CSIRO's Centre for Research on Introduced Marine Pests (CRIMP)
- Dartmouth Gulf of Maine Project
- Distributed Ocean Data System
- Earth Pledge Foundation - promoting the vision of sustainable development
- Earthwatch - cultural and environmental research projects
- The Electronic Zoo and their links to fish, marine crustacean and marine mammal resources
- Environment Canada
- Environmental Resources Information Network of Australia and their section on Marine and Coastal Issues
- Factsheets and News Releases on Threatened and Endangered Species
- FINS: Fish Information Service
- Georgy Girl's Ocean Links -
- Harvard Marine Biology Center Gopher.
- Hydrographic Atlas of the Southern Ocean
- International Arctic Buoy Program - to establish and maintain a network of drifting buoys in the Arctic Ocean to collect data needed for real-time operations and meteorological and oceanographic research.
- LDEO Climate Data Catalog - a catalog of datasets, with an interface that allows you to make plots, tables, and files from any dataset, its subsets, or processed versions thereof.
- The Maritime History Virtual Archives
- Maritime History Citations for the Oxford English Dictionary
- Marine Fish Catalog - Click on a name to see a picture.
- Mollusc Evolution Listserver.
- Monterey Bay Online
- National Estuary Program Bringing Our Estuaries
- Ocean Photos - great underwater photography.
- Ocean Technology - Pointers to businesses specializing in Ocean Technology.
- Oceans of Life - National Public Radio and National Geographic Society RADIO EXPEDITIONS stereo broadcast special.
- NEMO - Oceanographic Data Server (SIO)
- Ocean Information Center (OCEANIC)
- Ocean Voice International - A marine environmental organization on the WWW
- Office of NOAA Corps Operations - provides
vessel, aircraft, and personnel support to the survey, science, and research programs of NOAA
- Our Living Oceans Annual Report (NOAA)
- Pacific Rim Biodiversity Catalog
- Parallel Ocean Program (POP) Model - a simulation of the global ocean circulation
- Pictures of Fish from the Canadian Department of Fisheries and Oceans
- Pointers to sites of maritime interest: A great compendium of marine-related sites.
- The Remarkable Ocean World
- REINAS Project - creating a real-time system for data acquisition, data management, and visualization for environmental and marine scientists.
- Save Our Seas Home Page: is a Hawai`i non-profit organization dedicated to ending all ocean pollution
- Sea Lore - A web site dedicated to all those who share a fascination with the power, mystery and lore of oceans that surround us.
- SeafoodNet: Scientific Rescources
- SeaWeb - a multmedia public education project
- Small Islands Information Network: An electronic information network to link people interested in small islands with each other and with
information relevant to small islands.
- Strategies for pursuing a career in marine mammal science
- Surfrider Online The Surfrider Foundation, a non-profit environmental
organization dedicated to the protection and enhancement of the world's waves and beaches through
conservation, activism, research and education.
- Turtle Trax - A Page Devoted to Marine Turtles
- The United Nations Gopher Server
- Usenet - sci.geo.oceanography - Oceanography, oceanology and marine science Newsgroup.
- U.S. JGOFS Information
- What's In Our Water? - great set of water-related resources
- The WWF Global Network
- World Wide Fund For Nature -- United Kingdom - Weekly news on the environment.
Questions and Answers about the Ocean and Environment
Scientific Journals on the Internet
- Directory of Public Aquaria from the Fish Information Service
- New England Aquarium - Boston, Massachussetts
- Monterey Bay Aquarium - Monterey, California
- Tennessee Aquarium Home Page - Chattanooga, Tennessee
- Stephen Birch Aquarium-Museum - San Diego, California
- Sea World/Busch Gardens - Florida, California, Ohio, Texas
- Texas State Aquarium, Corpus Christi, Texas
- The Seattle Aquarium - Seattle, Washington
- The Florida Aquarium - Tampa, Florida
- The Clearwater Marine Science Center Aquarium - Clearwater, Florida
- Mote Marine Aquarium - Sarasota, Florida
- Aksarben Aquarium and Nature Center - Louisville, Nebraska
- The Cold Spring Harbor Fish Hatchery & Aquarium - Cold Spring Harbor, New York
- New Jersey State Aquarium - Camden, New Jersey
- The Shedd Aquarium - Chicago, Illinois
- The Steinhart Aquarium at The California Academy of Sciences, San Francisco, California
- Long Marine Lab's Virtual Field Trip Aquarium - Santa Cruz, California
- Sonoran Sea Aquarium - Tucson, Arizona
- Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium - Tacoma, Washington
- The Waikiki Aquarium - Honolulu, Hawaii
- Tulsa Aquarium - Tulsa, Oklahoma
- South Carolina Aquarium - Charleston, South Carolina
- Virtual Aquarium Project at the Gulf Coast Research Laboratory, Biloxi, Mississippi
- Okeanos Aquarium - Riverhead, Long Island, New York
- St.Lawrence Aquarium & Ecological Center - Massena, New York
- The Gulf of Maine Aquarium
- The Memphis Zoo and Aquarium - Memphis, Tennessee
- Oregon Coast Aquarium - Newport, Oregon
- The Hudson River Aquarium - Dutchess County, New York
- The Vancouver Aquarium - Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- Fenit Sea World - County Kerry, Ireland
- The Genoa Aquarium
- The Bergen Aquarium - Bergen, Norway
- Public Aquariums in Japan - a map and listing
- Enoshima Aquarium - Sagami Bay, Japan
- Osaka Aquarium - OSaka, Japan
- Australian Aquaria and Zoos
- The Great Barrier Reef Aquarium - Townsville, Australia
- The Two Oceans AquariumTwo Oceans Aquarium - Cape Town, South Africa
Ocean-related Events and Activities at Other Institutions
Other Online Exhibitions
Educational Resources Available on the Internet
- Ocean Planet-related Educational Materials
- Art to Zoo - Smithsonian's lesson plans on Tomorrow's Forecast: Oceans and Weather
- The Internet in the Classroom: NASA's K-12 Internet Initiative
- Index of Educational Resources (Yahoo list from Stanford)
- World-Wide Web Virtual Library Education Index
- Environmental Education on the Internet via EE-Link
- The GLOBE Project: Global Learning and Observations to Benefit the Environment
- Hands On Children's Museum in Olympia, Washington. Great list of educational resources
- Children's Museum, Hull, Quebec, Canada
- International Student Newswire: a news service for students and teachers around the world.
- Helping your child learn science - from the U.S. Department of Education
- Kids Web - A World Wide Web Digital Library for Schoolkids
- Global SchoolNet Foundation - where teachers, students, business, government, and the community can learn side-by-side.
- Schools on the Web - Lists schools by location. Also has links to Elementary Schools, Secondary Schools, School Districts, Educational Organizations, K-12 School Lists. Has a clickable map of the US.
- Busy Teachers' WebSite - K-12 - Site is organized by subject area and affords direct links to source materials of use to K-12 teachers.
- Uncle Bob's Kids' Page - a treasure chest of links, which have been cleaned, checked, and annotated, with spotlights on special subjects.
- AskERIC the internet-based education service of the ERIC system
- Underwater World - Information for children about the world under the sea
- The Blue - a new book featuring "work of some of the world's greatest ocean authors and underwater photographers."
Ocean Planet Photo/Illustration/Artifact Archive
Ocean Planet Exhibition Floorplan
gene carl feldman (firstname.lastname@example.org) (301) 286-9428
Judith Gradwohl, Smithsonian Institution (Curator/Ocean Planet)
Last updated 9 May 1996